Shakshuka: spicy baked eggs
Serves 4 - 6
2 tbsp olive oil
1 yellow onion
2 garlic cloves
1 red bell pepper
4 kale stalks
1 tsp ground paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
2 x 400g can diced tomatoes
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (optional)
Sprinkle of sea salt & black pepper
6 large free-range eggs
1. Preheat oven to 375 C.
2. Finely dice onion, garlic and bell pepper. Chop kale leaves & stalks.
3. Heat oil in an oven-safe frypan on medium heat, add onion and garlic, cook until soft.
4. Add paprika, cumin and cayenne pepper, cook for a few minutes. Once fragrant, add in bell pepper & kale. Continue cooking another 5 minutes.
5. Pour in diced tomatoes and season with Worcestershire sauce, salt & black pepper, stir to combine. Simmer for 15 minutes until tomatoes have thickened.
6. If your frypan is not oven-safe, transfer the tomato mixture to a small baking dish.
7. Make small divots in the tomato sauce and gently crack eggs into them. Season with salt & black pepper.
8. Place the frypan or baking dish in the oven and bake until eggs are set, about 10 minutes. Serve topped with fresh basil on top and and fresh bread on the side, and morning coffee of course!